Target Coupon Policy & Frequently Asked Questions
Checkout the latest Target coupon matchups and deals.
- Local Target Ad (Match your coupons to items on sale to maximize your savings!)
- FREE Sample Spot
- Target Customer Service
- Target Coupons
The Target coupon matchups and deals on In Good Cents are good nationwide. Target releases a new Target ad each Sunday and sales are good through Saturday. In addition to the Target ad you may get to your home, make sure you vie the online Target ad for more items on sale in your area. Not everything on sale is included in the Target ad you receive at your home.
Target Coupon Policy
You can find the nationwide Target coupon policy online. Print an official copy of all of the Target Coupon Policies for your area to keep in your coupon holder to help you (and your cashier) when needed.
Coupons are a great way to save even more when shopping with us, and it’s easy to use them at our stores. When accepting coupons, we follow the guidelines below.
Manufacturer and Target Coupons:
- Target accepts one Manufacturer Coupon and one Target Coupon for the same item (unless prohibited by either coupon).
- We reserve the right to accept, refuse, or limit the use of any coupon.
- Limit of 4 identical coupons per household, per day (unless otherwise noted on coupon).
- All valid coupons should be presented to the cashier during checkout.
- Item purchased must match the coupon description (brand, size, quantity, color, flavor, etc.).
- Coupon amount may be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied.
- We can’t give cash back if the face value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item.
- All applicable sales taxes are paid by the guest at the full value of the item.
- These guidelines apply to all coupons accepted at Target (Color Checkout Coupons, Internet Coupons,
- Mobile Coupons, Mailed Coupons, Coupons from Newspapers and Magazines, etc.).
Internet (Print-at-Home) Coupons:
- We gladly accept valid internet coupons that contain a clear and scannable bar code.
- We do not accept internet coupons for free items with no purchase requirements.
- Guests can receive Target Mobile Coupons by signing up for Text Alerts at Target.com/mobile or by texting COUPONS to 827438 (TARGET).
- Message and data rates may apply. See site for full details.
- To redeem, simply show your coupon barcode to the cashier. With one simple scan, all applicable coupons are applied.
Buy One Get One Free Coupons (BOGO):
- BOGO coupons cannot be combined (i.e. you cannot use two BOGO coupons on two items and get both for free). Unless stated otherwise on the coupon, the use of one Buy One Get One Free coupon requires that two of the valid items are presented at checkout of which one item will be charged to the guest and the 2nd item will be discounted by its full retail price.
- A second cents-off coupon of the same type cannot be redeemed towards the purchase price of the first item.
- If a Target BOGO coupon is used, one additional manufacturer coupon may be used on the first item.
- If a Manufacturer BOGO coupon is used, one additional Target coupon may be used on the first item.Returns:
- Returns of items purchased using Manufacturer Coupons may receive coupon value returned in the form of a Target GiftCard.
- Coupons are void if copied, scanned, transferred, purchased, sold, prohibited by law, or appear altered in any way.
- We regularly monitor the Coupon Information Corporation (CIC) website for counterfeit coupons. We do not accept counterfeit coupons.
- We can’t accept coupons from other retailers, or coupons for products not carried in our stores.
- Some items may not be available at all stores.
- We do not accept expired coupons.
- We do not accept Canadian coupons in our US stores.
Target Price Matching Policy
Target does match local compeititor prices as long as it’s within the Target price match policy.
How does price matching work?
If you find an item in a competitor’s printed ad that is priced lower than it is at your Target store, we will match the price. The competitor’s ad must be local and current, and the product must be the identical item, brand name, quantity and model number. Target.com is excluded from our price matching policy. Competitor catalogs can also be ad matched as long as the catalog displays a valid date and meets all other qualifications.
What if I’ve already made the purchase at Target?
No problem. Within seven days of purchase, bring your Target receipt and the competitor ‘s current printed ad. We will reimburse the savings to you.
What qualifies as proof of a competitor’s advertisement?
Please show us the entire printed advertisement. Photos, photocopies, or mobile phone versions of the ad cannot be accepted as verification of competitive pricing.
What does ‘identical store item’ mean?
The program covers items with the identical brand name, size, weight, quantity and model number of the item at Target stores. We reserve the right to verify a competitor’s advertised price and the availability of the product.
Can I use coupons when price matching?
A guest can use coupons when price matching per Target’s normal coupon policy. When the guests presents a coupon(s), these steps will be followed:
Manufacturer coupons will be applied after the price match is made.
Target coupons will be applied before the price match is made. If the competitor price is still lower than the price after the Target coupon has been deducted, the ad match can be adjusted to match the competitor’s price.
Combining both a Target and Manufacturer Coupons:
The Target coupon will be applied before the price match is made. If the competitor price is still lower than the price after the Target coupon has been deducted, the ad match can be adjusted to match the competitor’s price. Once the price match is made the manufacturer coupon will be applied.
Reminder: We accept one manufacturer coupon and one Target coupon for the same item unless either coupon prohibits it.
Target does not ad match a competitors coupon-required offers.
What do you mean by local retail competitors?
This refers to retail stores located within the same market area as a particular Target store. Examples of a market area can be a city, a metropolitan area or a specific rural region.
What about online price matching?
All online pricing, including Target.com, is excluded from our price matching policy, as well as online retail promotions or products advertised on another company’s web or mobile sites.
Other price matching exclusions include:
Online prices, including Target.com
- Promotions or products advertised on another company’s web or mobile sites, even those advertising in-store prices.
- Timed events (e.g., early bird, door busters)
- Items advertised as limited time/limited supply/limited quantity
- Membership club or loyalty programs (e.g. prices that require a club or loyalty card)
- Coupon-required or giftcard offers
- Prices advertised only as a percent off or $ off
- Competitor’s free product, buy one, get one, bundled offers, or special purchases
- Mobile coupons
- Sales tax promotions
- Damaged product or opened packaging
- Clearance or closeout items
- Mail in offers or instant rebates
- Product services (warranties, assembly, etc.)
- Going-out-of-business liquidations
- Special financing
- Used or previously owned items
- Display merchandise
- Pricing or typographical errors
- Owned brands (i.e., Home, Merona, Circo, Market Pantry and Archer Farms)
- Non-branded items (e.g. produce not marketed under a specific brand name)
- Target Portrait Studio, Optical, and Clinic offers
- Expired Ads
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why are the prices at my Target different from those listed on your site?
A: Target’s sale prices are typically nationwide with a few exclusions, like soda Regular prices vary regionally and sometimes even from store-to-store within the same area. Generally prices are reasonably close, but some may vary greatly.
Q: Target refused to accept my Internet coupon. Why?
A: Target’s nationwide coupon policy states that they do accept Internet coupons. If you have trouble with your local Target, contact headquarters or print the Target coupon policy to show in-store during purchases.
Target may still refuse Internet coupons if they do not scan. If this becomes a problem, try adjusting your coupon settings. Sometimes using Best can cause the ink to be runny and blur the barcode, while using Draft can cause the barcode to be unclear.
Q: Does Target offer rain checks? How do they work?
A: Target will issue rain checks on out-of-stock items, except gift card promotions. You can receive your rain check at customers service. Target rain checks expire 45 days after issue and are good on the item stated, unless otherwise noted.
Some rain checks are good on substitute items if you see the text choose a substitute at the bottom. With substitute item rain checks, you can select a similar, regular-priced item and get the same percent discount.
Sometimes, when an item is sold out, associates may place a tearpad or rain check notice where the item was on the shelf. Make sure to tear this tearpad slip off and take it to customer service to get your rain check. The tearpad slip is not a rain check!
Q: When does Target mark down products?
A: Target has a national markdown schedule. Watch the end caps of aisles for marked down, clearance, and discounted items. Mark downs take place every two weeks and items will continue to be marked down every two weeks until sold or reaches 75%. Target rarely marks non-holiday items lower than 75%.
Below is the full markdown schedule:
Monday: Electronics, Kids Clothing, & StationaryTuesday: Domestics, Women’s Clothing, Pets, & GroceryWednesday: Men’s Clothing, Toys, Health & Beauty, Lawn & GardenThursday: Housewares, Lingerie, Shoes, Sporting Goods, Movies, Music, Books, Decor, & Luggage
Friday: Auto, Cosmetics, Hardware, & Jewelry
Holiday are as follows (Christmas markdowns vary):Post Holiday Day 1-3: 50%Post Holiday Day 4-6: 75%
Post Holiday Day 7-8: 90%
Q: What if I find a damaged product in Target? Can I get a discount on it?