Always a favorite at our family holiday get togethers!!
- 2 lb. peeled and diced potatoes
- 1/2 to 1 head garlic cloves, peeled and mashed
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy cream, half & half or milk
- Cover potatoes with water sufficient to cover in a heavy-bottomed pan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and simmer until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Drain potatoes and set aside. Return empty pan to heat and add butter, leaving until butter melts. In a separate pan, bring cream or milk to boil (do not allow to curdle; remove from heat immediately when it starts to boil).
- Mash the potatoes, beating in the butter and half & half, cream or milk, mashed garlic, and salt and pepper, until potatoes are smooth and fluffy.
- NOTE: For milder garlic flavor, parboil garlic along with potatoes, then mash with potatoes.