This post is part of the Indiana Summer Fun 2012 series. Be sure to check out all the ways to enjoy Indiana in true frugal fashion this summer!
Of all the places families can visit in Indiana, I have to admit the the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo is one of our favorites. I’ll even go as far as to admit, it’s far better for children than the Indianapolis Zoo, it our opinion.
You can enjoy our review from last year’s visit to the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo for more details and phtoos.
What makes it so special, especially for little kids? The Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo is designed with children in mind.
- Exhibits are visible from down low, so you don’t spend time at each exhibit lifting kids in and out of strollers.
- Animals are easy to see, so you don’t have to search or get frustrated trying to point out hard to see animals to little eyes.
- It’s affordable. When compared to other zoo’s, the rides, admission, membership, and even the food is not outrageously priced.
- It’s small enough to walk through in 3 hours. While there is so much to see, the zoo is small enough to easily walk through in 3 hours, so there’s no need to worry about naps or over stimulation.
- It’s more than just a zoo. There’s also a small spray ground to cool off and misters throughout the park. Plus, everything is designed with fun in mind. The drinking fountain is a lion’s head and thirsty visitors have to stick their head inside for a drink and throwing away trash is much more fun when it has to go into a hippo.
Why We Love Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo
Most exhibits are interactive and have so much to keep little actives ones busy.
- Cool off in the FREE spraygrounds and splash pond.
- Feed ducks and LOTS of fish for only $0.25 at the zoo entrance.
- Climb aboard the pint-size train and play conductor near the zoo entrance.
- Feed a goats for $1 or brush goats for FREE in the Indiana Family Farm.
- Enjoy a $2 relaxing train ride past the Indiana Family Farm and around Shoaff Lake.
- Pet animals like a calf and a donkey FREE in the Indiana Family Farm.
- Enjoy the FREE Sea Lion shows in the center of the zoo and other FREE shows throughout the zoo.
- Enjoy FREE keeper chats throughout the zoo.
- Walk into the bird cage in the Australian Adventure.
- Walk into the kangaroo cage in the Australian Adventure.
- Crawl through the wombat burrow FREE in the Australian Adventure.
- Get into a kid-size kangaroo pouch in the Australian Adventure.
- Ride a $2 log ride through the river in the Australian Adventure and see beautiful black and white swans up close if you’re lucky.
- Get wild in the kids tree house in the African Journey.
- Beat a drum and sit behind the wheels of a Land Rover in the African Journey.
- Peek into tents and use the Savannah Cam to zoom in on zebras in the African Journey.
- Fly over the African Journey in the $2 Sky Safari ride.
- Feed a giraffe or two in the African Journey for $1.
- Learn about endangered animals in Southeast Asia on the $2 Endangered Species Carousel.
- Pet and ride ponies for $4 outside the Rain Forest.
What we love most: Interacting with animals. It’s not unusual to see a peacock walk in front of your stroller and there’s nothing cooler than walking into the kangaroo and bird cages in the Australian Adventure.
Our Tips for a Successful Visit
Tips for Young Children & Infants: The entire zoo is very stroller friendly, so bring a stroller along. Don’t skip over the Indiana Farm where little ones can brush goats for FREE and pet farm animals. The piglets are pretty cute and if they aren’t sleeping, entertaining to watch when they are rolling around.
Tips for Older Children: Bring a bathing suit. Your kids will want to cool off in the FREE sprayground and splash pond.
Tips for Adults: Bring cash and quarters. While you can make purchases with your credit card at the entrance, many fun spots throughout the zoo take cash only. For example, there is a gumball machine that dispenses food to feed the ducks and fish for only $0.25 for a hand full of pellets. Take your time. The zoo is small, so you can easily get through the entire thing in one day without rushing, so enjoy the attractions and stop and play.
Ways to Save
- Parking is FREE, so take advantage of the zoo parking lot.
- Look on specially marked Diet Pepsi cans distributed through Indiana for a FREE child’s admission with paid adult.
- Get a Ride Pass for $20, which includes 10 rides for the cost of 12!
- Bring your own stroller to avoid rental fees.
- Pack a lunch and enjoy it in the picnic area to avoid food costs.
- Read up on the Free Zoo Fun available throughout the zoo such as the splash pond, spray grounds, wombat burrow, and more.
- Planning frequent visits? Invest in a Zoo Membership to get FREE admission all year long. The Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo is part of a Reciprocal Zoo Promotion, which means you can use you membership to get in FREE at 150 zoos nationwide like Mesker Park Zoo in Evansville and Potawatomi Zoo in South Bend.
Plan a Visit
|Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo
3411 Sherman BLvd
Fort Wayne, Indiana 46808
|Fan & Follow
Admission & Prices
- Adult Admission: $13.50
- Children (2-14): $8.50
- Seniors (60+): $10.50
- Infants (0-1): FREE
- Family Membership: $95
- Grandparent Membership: $95
- Single Parent Membership: $85
- Individual Membership: $71
- Basic Plus Membership: $160
Enter to Win
Three (3) lucky In Good Cents readers will win one (1) FREE Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo prize pack valued at $52.50 that includes:
- 5 prize packages, each including 2 adult admissions (value $13.50 each), 3 child admissions (value $8.50 each)
**eMail and RSS subscribers must visit this post to enter for a chance to win. Entries by email will not be accepted.
Enter to Win
This giveaway is open to Indiana residents only.
Leave one (1) comment for each entry. Each entry is worth one (1) entry, for a total of up to (6) six possible entries. Entries will be confirmed before a winner is selected and announced.
Required Entry Question
1. REQUIRED ENTRY: What is your favorite zoo animal and why?
Bonus Entry Methods (OPTIONAL)
1. Subscribe to my FREE daily deal newsletter via email or RSS feed reader and confirm your subscription. Once your a subscriber, leave a comment letting me know you’re getting your dose of daily deals.
2. “Like” In Good Cents on Facebook. Leave a comment to let us know.
3. “Like” Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo on Facebook. Leave a comment to let us know. While it’s not required, feel free to leave a comment on their wall, letting them know you found them on In Good Cents and/or thank them for this wonderful opportunity!
Visit the @fwkidszoo for #SummerFun in #Indiana for the whole family. #EntertoWin Admission via @InGoodCents http://igcgo.com/O7dbtN #Giveaway #Win #Indiana
5. Pin it! Pin this giveaway to one of your Pinterest boards. Leave a comment to let us know you pinned it.
Entries will be accepted from now until 11:59 PM Eastern on Saturday, July 7, 2012. Winners will be chosen at random and notified by email.
Official Rules and Small Print: This is a game of chance. Your entry will have the same chance to win as every other entry. A winner will not be revealed until the sweepstakes ends. No purchase necessary to enter or win. Purchases with In Good Cents and/or Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo will not increase your chances of winning. Must be a legal Indiana Resident and 18 years of age or older to enter and have a valid mailing address within the state. Limit of one (1) entry per entry method per person. Duplicate entries will be void. Odds of winning depend on the number of entries visible below. Employees of In Good Cents, LLC and/or Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo are not eligible for participation. Prizes must be accepted as is and are not redeemable for cash. In Good Cents, LLC and Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo are not liable for any injury or damages to person and/or things as a result of the acceptance of the prize offered. Void where prohibited. Winner is responsible for any taxes and/or fees that may result from winning. For a full set of sweepstake rules, please read the full terms & conditions.