This sponsored post was written by me on behalf of Lunchbox. Regardless of compensation, all opinions are 100% my own.
We are not morning people! My entire family struggles in the morning to get ready for school, get a healthy breakfast, and get out the door without missing the bus. Of course, I’m the ringleader, so a lot of it is on my shoulders.
I’ve always been a huge fan of oatmeal. My Grandma always made me plain oatmeal with a bit of milk and brown sugar. For me, it was like a treat, but a healthy treat. I even prefer oatmeal cookies over chocolate chip (I know, I’m a freak). But, for my kids, my easy and quick oatmeal idea flopped.
Why I Love Oatmeal
- It’s (heart) healthy
- It’s quick & easy (5 minutes to make)
- Great ingredient for recipes
- There’s nothing better than a breakfast on a cold day (seriously!)
Quaker offers many oatmeal choices!
When someone says oatmeal, Quaker is what pops into my mind. Quaker is the brand I trust and the brand I reach for most often.
For kids who gag at the thought of plain oatmeal (like mine) Quaker offers so much more than just plain oatmeal, including their mix-up creations, flavored instant oatmeal, granola bars, and oat cereals, which did entice my kids’ picky palates.
Make Plain Oatmeal More Fun
Plain oatmeal is still my favorite. For breakfast, our oatmeal often becomes a kitchen science project where we mix things into our oatmeal to make it more fun and get the kids to enjoy it too.
Here’s a list of things we love to add to oatmeal to mix it up and make it more flavorful. Some are a bit sweeter and some are a bit healthier, so it depends on what you’re in the mood for at the time. And, you can always go with the fat or sugar-free version. Make sure to mix and match. The fun is getting creative!
- Fruit (fresh or dried)
- Applesauce or other Fruit Purees
- Flavored Soymilk or Other Milk
- Brown Sugar (or Sugar)
- Maple Syrup
- Honey, Molasses, or Agave Nectar
- Peanut Butter or Nutella
- Jam, Jelly, or Fruit Spreads
- Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Pumpkin Pie Spice, or other Spices
- Vanilla Extract or other Extract
- Instant Hot Chocolate or Vanilla Mix
- Chocolate or Butterscotch Chips
- Canned Pumpkin (or fresh, see )
- Coffee Creamer or Coffee (this is more for moms, then the kids!)
Some Oatmeal Recipes
- Apple Cherry Oatmeal
- Apple, Pumpkin Oatmeal Baby Food
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Recipe
- Peanut Butter Cup Oatmeal Cookies
- Oatmeal Crispies
- Honey-Vanilla Granola
- Lemon Coffee Cake
- 6 Quick Fruit Crisps
How do you enjoy your oatmeal?
Get Quick Tips to get on the road to better heart health at Walmart!