This post brought to you by Carapelli. All opinions are 100% mine.
I never knew that Olive Oil, like wine (and coffee too!), should be put through a taste test to make sure it’s high-quality. Here’s how to conduct your taste test the correct way:
- Swirl: Swirl the olive oil in a small glass to release the oil’s ester’s, which are molecules hold the aroma.
- Sniff: Now inhale the scents in your glass. See if it’s intense or more subtle.
- Slurp: Take a small taste of the oil. By actually slurping, you’ll spread it throughout your mouth and more able to note the different tastes and sensations. Do you taste pepper or fruit? It it smooth?
- Swallow: And finally swallow your oil to see if there’s any after taste. There shouldn’t be! Also, does it sting? Is there a peppery taste?
With Carapelli, there wasn’t any after taste and just smooth sensation in my mouth. While I’m not a fan of drinking olive oil straight, I do love it as a frugal Italian bread dip.
Herby Olive Oil Bread Dip
- 1/4 Cup Carapelli Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Sun-Dried Tomato Paste
- 1/8 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/8 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/8 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1/8 tsp Fresh Minced Garlic
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- Mix Carapelli Olive Oil and sun-dried tomato paste in a bowl until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix basil, thyme, and rosemary. Crush together by rolling them in your hand and between your them and fingers.
- Once finely crushed together, add to the oil mixture, along with the garlic. Stir.
- Add pepper slowly to taste. You may not use it all (or can add more, if you’d like).
- Use a fork to smash and mix together.
- Put into a bottle (putting this back in your Carapelli bottle when it’s empty is perfect and a great way to recycle the bottle), and sit for at least 4 hours before serving to blend flavors together.
Even through this recipe is so simple, it always impresses guests, because it’s absolutely delicious. But, if you don’t use good olive oil, it will leave an odd after taste in your mouth.
Hurry and you can print a $1.00 OFF coupon at www.CarapelliUSA.com to try Carapelli Olive Oil too! Just look for the yellow box that says “Get $1.00 Off” and click it. This coupon is valid on any Carapelli Olive Oil size 17 ounce or larger. Use your back button to print this coupon twice.