Sunday Coupon Preview & Missing Red Plum Inserts

by Beth Montgomery on June 6, 2011 · 21 comments

in Announcements

With many new couponers and readers here on In Good Cents, I’ve been getting questions about where to find your Red Plum insert and why you didn’t get the coupons listed in the Sunday Coupon Preview.   So, I thought I’d take some time to clear up any confusion.

Why don’t the coupons in my newspaper match those on the Sunday Coupon Preview?

Each week, the coupon insert providers release a general list of coupons in their upcoming issue.   While this gives us a good idea of what to expect, the coupon values and included in inserts vary by city.   More coupons and higher value coupons are placed into the larger metropolitan newspapers, while smaller local newspapers often have less and lower value.   Some coupons are only available to certain cities and/or states and sometimes, special inserts are released to certain cities or states.

Why doesn’t everyone get the same coupons?

• Manufacturers are trying to increase sales to particular cities and states.
  • Products aren’t available or availability is limited in certain areas.
  • There’s a special event, sale, and or promotion in a particular area.
  • They are testing a coupon, marketing strategy, and/or promotion in a limited area.
  • Limited advertising budget may cause coupons to only be released to target areas.
  • And for many other reasons that only they may know about.

How do I get the best coupon inserts possible in my area?

Subscribe to the largest metropolitan newspaper in your area. But, keep in mind, even the large metropolitan newspaper inserts may vary from the general list of coupons in the preview.

Okay, but where is my Red Plum insert?

In 2010, Red Plum pulled their coupon insert from multiple newspapers across the United States.   Afterwards, they began to automatically mail it to homes within certain areas.   Now, the Red Plum insert comes to homes in different ways, depending on where you live.

Your Red Plum insert may be available…

• In the largest metropolitan newspaper.
  • In your small, local newspaper.
  • Inside your Red Plum home mailer that comes to homes Wednesday – Friday, depending on where you live.   Be aware, this often looks like junk mail, so you may have been throwing it away.

Or, you may be one of the few unlucky areas that can’t seem to get access to the Red Plum insert any longer.

You can check to see where to find your Red Plum insert online, but

What should you do if you aren’t getting the Red Plum insert?

1. Visit the Red Plum Insert locator to see if it’s available in a newspaper or via mail in your area. Keep in mind, it’s not always accurate.   When I search my area, it says it’s not available, but I receive it every Wednesday or Thursday in the mail.
  2. Order whole inserts and/or coupons from coupon clipping services.
  3. Print coupons online to try to supplement your coupon collection.

So, I can’t get the Red Plum insert in the Indianapolis Star?

Nope!   The Indianapolis Star joined the list of newspapers no longer including the Red Plum coupon insert in mid-2010.   Now those in the Indianapolis area and surrounding suburbs automatically receive the insert in the mail on Wednesday or Thursday in the Red Plum home mailer, along with their Marsh Supermarket Circular.     Unfortunately, cities outside the Indianapolis area who were subscribing to the Indianapolis Star can no longer get the Red Plum insert in the newspaper and may not receive it in the mail.   There are less than 10 local newspapers in the Indiana area that still offer the Red Plum insert inside.   Check your local newspaper to see if it’s included.   However, some may be unable to get it in their area.   If you really miss this insert and want it, you can order whole inserts and/or coupons from coupon clipping services.

Hope that helps you all out!   And, to help others, please leave a comment with where you get your Red Plum insert.   I’m in the Indianapolis, Indiana area and receive mine in the mail on Wednesday or Thursday.

1 meocuenca June 6, 2011 at 6:00 PM

you say, “Each week, the coupon insert providers release a general list of coupons in their upcoming issue. While this gives us a good idea of what to expect, the coupon values and included in inserts vary by city.” – i buy my paper week to week depending if i have the money, where would i find the general list preview list by the coupons insert providers so i can predetermine if i want the paper that week?

2 Beth June 6, 2011 at 9:06 PM

I release it here each Friday for the upcoming Sunday. You can subscribe to the site to get it by e-mail on Friday after 5:00 PM, visit the site, or you can look at this tag for the most current preview (right now it’s the preview from last Friday) – http://ingoodcents.com/tag/sunday-coupon-preview.

3 WWadeII June 6, 2011 at 8:37 PM

I had bad luck this week with my inserts. My paper had only the P&G and I knew something was wrong. I did however get several ads that were duplicated. So either my inserts were stolen or I was victim to the conveyor belt and stuffing my paper wrong.

I had my fiance pick up two papers, one local and one from the DC. Most of the coupons were the same but the RedPlum for DC actually had 1/3 of the coupons of my local paper and twice as many junk ads inside of it.

4 Amy June 7, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Has anyone been able to get a RedPlum in their IndyStar? When I buy it on Sundays, I never get one. My local paper has RedPlum, but it usually consists of 10 pages of worthless advertisements and 3-5 coupons for useless items.

5 Beth June 7, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Amy, that’s what this post is explaining. The Indianapolis Star no longer has the Red Plum insert in it. It was pulled in 2010 and you’ll no longer be able to get it in the newspaper. Those in the Indianapolis area get it by mail, but those who are outside Indianapolis and still subscribing to the Indianapolis Star have to either get it through their local paper, also get it in the mail, or can’t get access to it without buying it through a coupon clipper.

6 Melissa June 7, 2011 at 10:24 AM

That answers all my questions about which paper to look for! Thanks so much! I am so glad I fell open this blog since all the other couponing blogs I was following were out of state. It is nice to know what deals I can get in my own area! Thanks for this great blog!

7 Beth June 7, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Oh, good, Melissa! I’m glad you found this site too. I like finding deals in my own area, since that means I can take advantage of them too.

8 Brandon June 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Thanks for this post. I’m about 2 months into couponing, and being local to Indianapolis, your blog has been very helpful. Since we do not get the Redplum inserts in the Indy Star, is there any way to get multiple Redplum inserts (other than asking friends and family)?

9 WWadeII June 7, 2011 at 10:25 PM

That’s about it. You gotta ask friends or family to sign up for the mailing list. Or use a clipping service. Depending on your status of coupons and moral clipping its up to you. I’m not positive but you could get a second if they allow them to be sent to PO Boxes, and you can probably use your work address as well (as long as you can get the mail, lol)

10 Beth June 8, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Brandon, not really. In fact, that was part of the motivation behind Red Plum’s choice. They said that they didn’t want people to get multiple inserts. Friends and family or a coupon clipping service are about your only option. They don’t deliver to PO Boxes and actually, removed their place to sign up for the Red Plum coupons. Either you get them, or you don’t. They no longer let you sign up to get added to their mailing list. Plus, everyone who did sign up when it was available, never received it anyway.

11 Nicole June 8, 2011 at 8:14 AM

I live in Camby, which is in the southwest corner of Marion County. I had been getting the RedPlum insert in the mail with the Marsh ad for some time prior to the last couple of months. I am now not getting one at all anymore.

12 stephanie June 19, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I live in Camby too and thought the mail carrier was stealing them! Glad it isn’t just me.

13 Shannon July 9, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Same here!! Camby with no inserts. Heartland crossing??

14 margurite gilliland June 19, 2011 at 12:39 PM

can u tell me why we dont have insirts in the paper?

15 Beth June 19, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Margurite, I’m not sure which newspaper you’re buying or where you live. Some smaller home-town newspapers don’t have inserts included. For example, my local town newspaper does not have any inserts. Make sure you subscribe to the largest metropolitan newspaper in your area. That’s where you’ll find the most and best coupons.

16 Robin Turner September 24, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Those of your on the east side of Indianapolis, the Meijer, Marsh and several gas stations in the area carry the Greenfield Daily Reporter. The Saturday edition of this paper carries the RedPlum and it only cost .75 cents vs the Indy Star that only carries the Smartsource and cost $2. I have been buying this paper for more than 6 months and have not had one issue with missing coupons. HTH!!

17 Robin Turner September 24, 2011 at 5:32 PM

To clarify, this is the Meijer, Marsh and Gas Stations along East Washington St, and the Cumberland area.

18 rachelle January 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM

i was wondering if you know howto get multiple red plun ads? they stopped putting them in my local papers.

19 Beth January 2, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Rachelle, This is one of the reasons Red Plum did this. They don’t want us to get multiple. The only way is to ask friends and neighbors to save theirs.

20 Tonya Fox January 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Hello I’m in OH and have the same issue with the redplum coupon inserts. I get the redplum packet on Tuesdays as they no longer put it in our largest newspaper but whats odd about it is that my neighbor 2 doors down gets a full redplum with manufacturers coupons and large chain buy 1/get 1 coupons as well for McDonalds etc. I contacted them via the website but got no explanation.

21 Lynze November 11, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Really? Camby couponers unite! I seriously thought someone was stealing mine…especially after a few months back when I noticed one sunday that all the papers had been put in our mailboxes and the doors left open.