This is one of my Grandma Isa’s recipes.
- 1 and 1/2 pounds of round steak – cut into 1/2 in thick strips
- 1/4 c flour
- 1/2 teas salt
- 1/8 teas pepper
- 1/4 c shortening – for browning the steak
- 1 can crushed tomatoes – drained and save the liquid
- 1 and 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 small clove garlic – minced
- 1 Tbls beef gravy base
1. Coat steak in mixture of Flour salt and pepper, then brown the strips in a large skillet with hot shortening.
2. Add reserved liquid from tomatoes, water onion garlic and gravy base to the meat. Cover and simmer until tender.
Cooking Tips & More
This is really good served over mashed potatoes or noodles.
Also I have never used gravy base and am not sure what it is but when I make this I add a little mixture of flour and milk to make the liquid a little thicker like gravy. I also add some strips of Green and Red Peppers sometimes because I think Pepper Steak should have peppers and wonder if Grandma may just have forgotten to put that in when she wrote down her recipe.
Craving more? Browse the recipe index to find more frugal, quick, and kid-friendly recipes.