I’m trying hard to refill our freezer, bake more at home, and include more whole wheat in our diet. So, in inspiration of Bargain Briana’s mouthwatering Spinach Mozzarella Croissants, I decided to make croissants at home to supplement meals.
- 2 1/4 TBSP Yeast
- 1 Cups + 3 TBSP Water
- 1/2 Cup Shortening (I like Butter Flavored)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Cups White Flour
1. Boil 1 cup of water.
2. Mix shortening and salt.
3. Mix boiling water with shortening and salt until dissolved in a mixing bowl.
4. Add yeast and stir until dissolved.
5. Beat eggs with sugar in a separate bowl. Add to mixture and blend together.
6. Add 2 cups of flour and mix well. Add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough comes off the side of the bowl and becomes kneadable.
7. Cover bowl in the refrigerator overnight.
8. In the morning, cut dough in half and use rolling pin to make a long sheet approximately 1/4 inch thick.
9. Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into triangles. Roll triangles in to crescents.
10. Set aside to rise until they double in size for about 1 hour. Once they rise, you can set these rolls in the freezer on a cookie sheet to flash freeze, then put in a baggie for long term storage.
11. When ready, remove rolls and bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes (8-10 minutes if not frozen). Baking time will depend on if the rolls are frozen in a deep freezer or in your kitchen freezer, so keep a close eye on them. They will be golden brown when done.
12. Serve hot!
Cooking Tips & More
You can stuff these delicious rolls with spinach, chicken, pepperoni, spaghetti sauce, hot dogs, ham, broccoli, cheese, or any combination you desire. Or just eat them plain!
Craving more? Browse the recipe index to find more frugal, quick, and kid-friendly recipes.