FREE American Girl Doll Clothes Printable Patterns

by Beth Montgomery on January 12, 2011 · 7 comments

in Freebies & Samples

I’ve admitted that while I do love things to make, I’m not crafty at all.   In fact, my husband once told me that the highly recommends I don’t sew in front of the kids, because they should never see me like that.

Don’t get me wrong.   I can sew.   Both of my Grandma’s taught me and I kick butt in Home Economy in high school.   I’ve made my fair share of pillows.   I’ve made simple sundresses for myself and my girls once up on a time (honestly, they were too embarrassing to wear though!).   I’ve cross-stitched, sewn on my husband’s umpire numbers each year, and that kind of simple stuff.

However, when my girls got American Girl Dolls for Christmas and became very concerned about their lack of wardrobe, the minimum $24 price tag inspired me.   After listening to my daughters and getting caught up with how in love they are with their dolls, I sat down without a pattern and whipped out two pairs of pajamas using some old fuzzy blanket-type material I had left over.   In fact, Julie is pictured above straight out of bed (that’s why her hair is so messy), in her new pajamas.

I’m using old clothes that were stained or had holes, plus some I was going to donate to make more.   So far, I’ve whipped out scarves, jean skirts, and I’m about to start a t-shirt.

If you, like me, don’t want to drop $24 or more on tiny clothes and have some old clothes laying around, here’s a few patterns to get you started that you can download FREE and print at home:

Now remember to get creative.   I’m Molly’s Rain Slicker pattern to make a jacket by simply shortening the pattern and making a few minor alteration.   The pattern just provides me the sizes!   Plus, we have some old stained t-shirts that will work great with the trendy t-shirt pattern.   In fact, since it’s stretchy, I’m hoping a I can make them without the Velcro back, since we are short on Velcro in our craft supply pile.

Use what you have on hand for materials.   We tore apart old clothes for buttons, ribbon, lace, Velcro, and other add-ons.   We’ve separated out small pockets, designers, bows, and even turned a pair of jeans into a jean skirt with zipper.

Have fun and put your kids to work!   They can help cut, make the scarfs, and more depending on their age.

Check out the Free Heart for Heart Doll T-Shirt Pattern I found, plus find more FREE Doll Printable Patterns in the Free Stuff & Samples Database.

Love free stuff? Get more now:

1 Linda May 8, 2011 at 7:04 PM

I absolute love the pj outfit on julie.I love to sew and crochet but i dont have a sewing machine i have to do it all by hand.
If ur pj bottoms r not too complicated i would love to have the pattern,cause to be honest im better at crochet than sewing but still love to sew.

Thanks!

2 Beth May 8, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Linda, I used the pajama pants from Molly’s Pretty Clothes, but instead of using elastic, used a ribbon to create a tie around the waist. They were fairly simple and I’m pretty bad when it comes to sewing. But, just click on “Retired American Girl Doll Clothes” in this post and you’ll see Molly’s set. You can print the page to get the pattern. Follow directions, because you have to make sure your computer isn’t set to scale the page. By default it is and if you print it without changing this, the pattern will be too small. I learned the hard way!

3 jane November 1, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Thank you for putting these patterns on line. I was looking at Simplicity and Butterick patterns today and they are very expensive. I appreciate finding them for free on your web site.

thank you so much! Jane

4 Beth November 2, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Jane, so glad you found these! I also highly recommend Liberty Jane. She has some great patterns and they are all $3.99. Some are for items like a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, or tank top all in one pattern, so that’s even more for your money.

5 Alisa Link March 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM

My granddaughter asked if I could make her 3 winter coats for her AG Dolls. I downloaded the Retired American Girl patterns. Love the patterns and that they were free. Used the raincoat pattern to make a black coat, changed the collar to fake leopard print, edged the pockets with leopard, made leopard print covered buttons. Used another pattern to make a leopard print hat and muff. Only problem is when making the cape the “Sew Right” instructions were not included for the collar neckband. Does anyone have instructions on how to do that part?

6 Linda August 29, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I love the free patterns. I have used them to make 6 outfits for a new American Girl doll I am going to give my granddaughter for her birthday.

7 Beth Montgomery August 30, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Wonderful! I’ve made a ton of outfits for my daughter’s dolls. I used their old clothing to do so too, so it was a great way to get a nice big wardrobe for the doll without spending a fortune.