Kroger e-Coupons – Stackable or Not?

by Beth Montgomery on June 25, 2010 · 9 comments

in Kroger, Store Deals

Kroger

Have questions about shopping at Kroger? Read how you can save money at Kroger to pick up tips and tricks!

Q. Can I use a Kroger e-coupon with a manufacturer coupon?

Answer:
With every change a store headquarters makes, often mass confusion follows throughout the nation and that goes for the Kroger eCoupons now available on their store website.

First, let me pause and clarify one thing… there are currently four sites that provide e-coupons – Cellfire, Shortcuts, P&G e-Saver, and Kroger.   While, in my area, Kroger is the only store that accepts e-coupons, the coupons found on sites like Cellfire are actually manufacturer coupons and should be used as so.   In fact, there are many other stores that accept these coupons.   They just aren’t in my area.

However, the coupons found on the Kroger website are actually store coupons.   At most stores you can use one store coupon and one manufacturer coupon per item purchased.   So does Kroger play by this rule?

A while back, my friend Renae at Madame Deals, who is the Kroger Expert for Deal Seeking Mom asked and received this reply by headquarters -

Thank you for contacting The Kroger Co.  The coupons that you download onto your card from the Website are considered store  coupons.  You may use one store coupon and one manufacturer’s coupon per item.

But recently, many have been told at their local Kroger the rule is one coupon per item no matter what.   So what’s the truth?

I called customer service five times to ask.   Why? Well, the answers were all over the place, so I figured if I called enough times I’d get someone who knew the answer.   I didn’t.   Here’s what I did get -

1. Kroger doesn’t have store coupons. You’re mistaken.   Yes, I’m sure about this.
  2. No, you can’t use the store coupons with the manufacturer coupons, but if they are already on your Kroger Plus Card, they come off automatically, so there’s no way we can stop you. So, I guess you can use them together if you don’t point it out to us.
  3. Oh yes, you can use them together.   It’s one store and one manufacturer coupon per item, unless the item will be free. We aren’t giving you anything for free.
  4. What’s an e-coupon?   Kroger has those?   Where?   You don’t have to have a coupon coupon?   It’s just on your card?   Weird.   And cool.   But, I think the managers decide.   Yeah, the managers can override anything we say, so you should ask them.
  5. Ummm… let me check.   Umm… I can’t find anything here saying you can use them together.   But, I can’t find anything saying you can’t use them together.   Um… I’m going to say no.   Yes.   Definitely no… I think.

So, I called my local Kroger, where I’ve always had good luck using coupons.   In one long rambling sentence the manager contradicted himself 3 times and basically told me the same exact thing as Customer Service Representative #2 and #3.   Even if we were just taking a poll, I’m pretty sure at this point, the majority result would be complete confusion.

I’ve e-mailed headquarters to see what answer I get there.   Until then, I think we can safely summarize this situation with a famous quote from the lead vocalist for REM, Michael Stipe -

Sometimes I’m confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn’t obvious.

What’s your experience with the Kroger e-coupons at your store?   What have you been told?

Don’t forget to check out all of the store deals and the other Kroger deals.

1 Kelly B June 25, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I go to the Kroger on Southport Road in Indianapolis. They are GREAT about taking coupons! I’ve heard so many horror stories I was nervous when I first started seriously couponing, but they accept everything – internet printed coupons, printed or e – store coupons stacked w/manufacturer coupons, free item coupons, etc. They even allow coupons for over the price of the item without adjusting and double coupons up to $.50 even if the coupon says no doubling.

2 Cindy June 25, 2010 at 11:03 AM

I too shop at the Kroger on Southport Road in Indianapolis and they will NOT take my ecoupons and a manufacture coupon. I learned this the hard way on the Scrubbing Bubbles BOGO deal a couple weeks ago. I tried it twice and spoke with the manager. No one in the store from the cashier to the lead cashier to the manager had ever heard of ecoupons on my Kroger Plus card and acted like I was delushional. Since my mother retired from Kroger and most know me they claimed they would call corporate but I haven’t heard anything definitive and really don’t expect to. I just won’t try again.

3 mallery cowan June 25, 2010 at 11:05 AM

They stack at my Kroger in michigan. I ended up technically being owed .50 yesterday but I told the cashier to keep it because he isn’t allowed to pay me.

4 Tara @ Deal Seeking Mom June 25, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Your post made me laugh, Beth! I’m comfortable with stacking the Softcoin ecoupons from the Kroger website because I do feel that those are store coupons. You can only load them from the Kroger website directly onto your Kroger Plus card. However, I would not stack ecoupons from Cellfire, Shortcuts, P&G eSavers, etc.

5 Beth Montgomery June 26, 2010 at 4:48 PM

I think the Kroger Stores in my area are just totally confused! I’ve had numerous complaints from readers saying they won’t let them stack the Kroger e-coupons. Apparently, from what I understand, headquarters had a conference call with the managers in my area and no one understood it, so they’ve all become very freaked out about taking coupons.

6 Nicole P. June 26, 2010 at 2:08 AM

I shop on Southport road too! (I live closer to the one off of Kentucky Ave. but it’s so dirty I drive further) Anyway, I have never had a problem stacking at either store. Either the cashier doesn’t notice or they don’t understand how it works, so they’ve never said anything. I have even made overage from some (The smart balance milk is on sale making it a fantastic deal w/ both coupons)
I wish all stores would just write out coupon policies though!

7 Beth Montgomery June 26, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Nicole, even the stores that have their coupon policy written out, still really confused managers and cashiers. Take Walmart for example! I don’t think anyone that works at the one near me knows their coupon policy and it’s on their website!

8 Corey June 26, 2010 at 9:21 PM

…I don’t shop at the Southport Rd one too often :/ I got to the one in Greenwood off of Meridian. They are great. Southport Rd is crowded. Never had a problem with coupons there or stacking my ecoupons and paper coupons. I stack them all though, cellfire, kroger, anything. The manufacture I am sure knows what is going on with them. It is like the notorious staples coupons. If you think Staples doesn’t know what is going on, then they must be dense.

9 Becki June 30, 2010 at 12:05 PM

I live up in NE Indiana, the Decatur Scott’s/Kroger stacks them. = )