While I do struggle sometimes to get my kids to eat healthy, I’m lucky, because they absolutely love vanilla yogurt and granola as much as ice cream with sprinkles. Sure, they’d still probably pick ice cream given the choice, but they still inhale yogurt like it’s going out of style.
We love granola in our yogurt, so we were thrilled about the great Special K sale at Target this week! It’s not often you get Special K or granola for only $0.83.
However, to save money, we often make our own. It’s easy!
:: Ingredients ::
- 4 Cups Old-Fashion Oats (NOT instant)
- 2/3 Cup Almonds (Slivered or Chopped)
- 2/3 Cup Sunflower Seeds
- 2/3 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 2/3 Cup UnSweetened Coconut
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 Cooking Oil
:: Directions ::
- Preheat oven to 325 and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, toss oats, nuts, cinnamon, and salt until mixed.
- In a separate bowl, pour in oil, then swirl to coat the sides. Mix in honey, brown sugar, and vanilla until well blended. Pour over oats, then stir lightly or use your hands to mix.
- Spread mixture over the baking sheet and bake for approximately 10 minutes. Remove to stir and flip granola, then bake an additional 5 minutes. Continue until golden brown (usually only takes about 20-30 minutes total).
- Place in an large storage bag or airtight container. Toss in cranberries and coconut, then shake to mix.
- Serve like cereal in milk, mixed with yogurt, or covered in fruit.
:: Centsible Cooking Tips & More ::
- Change It Up: You can add different dried fruits – cherries, raisins, apricots, etc… Or you can change the nuts – sesame seeds, walnuts, etc…
- Get Creative: Mix and match the flavors to try new things, like cherry-walnut, orange-raisin, or honey-almond.
- Kid-Proof It: Let them cook it! Kids are more likely to eat something they made and this is so simple they can whip it up and you can stick it in the oven.
- Sweeten It Up: Use sweetened coconut for more sugar.
Get more cent saving recipes! Browse by ingredient or search.