Red Plum: Now Gone in Indy!

by Beth Montgomery on April 28, 2010 · 20 comments

in Announcements, Coupons & Rebates

I’m sorry guys!   I got a horrible virus and hid under the covers, so while you’ve been sending me worried e-mails, I haven’t had a chance to update you.   Here I am now to give you the sad new…

Yes, it’s true!

I talked about Red Plum inserts disappearing from newspapers around the United States long ago, and now it’s our turn, Hoosiers.

Starting this weekend, the Indianapolis Star will no longer offer the Red Plum coupon insert.   You may still be able to get it through a few local newspapers.   I’ve also heard rumors that you may find them in the weekly Red Plum home mailer that comes on Wednesday and includes the Marsh Supermarket circular, but that’s not my understanding.   My understanding is that simply includes local savings for services and not the grocery coupons.   I can’t confirm or deny though, since I didn’t get mine today. Hopefully it will appear tomorrow and I’ll know for sure if our Red Plum is gone forever or just our days of buying multiple papers to get more of the best coupons.

Sigh… I just don’t even know where to start.   Some stores, treat me like a criminal when I come in with Internet coupons and scrutinize every single one, so I tend to use insert and standard coupons more than anything else.   I might just explode with frustration if I can’t get the Red Plum insert any longer!   The coupons they offer online don’t even compare to the ones in the insert more often than not!

Update: My husband thinks exploding might be overreacting just a little bit and has convinced me to have a less dramatic reaction.

1 Carey April 28, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I’ve read online that you can try signing up here :http://www.valassis.com/1024/Contact/contact_home.aspx to have the coupon insert delivered in your mailbox with the Wed/Thursday insert that normally comes. I signed up about a week ago via this website, but it says you have to wait several weeks for it to take effect. I thought it was worth a shot. Otherwise it looks like I am going to have to figure out who carries the Anderson paper locally!

2 Beth Montgomery April 28, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Carey, That’s what people were saying, but it looks like that is the Red Plum home mailer that most of us get on Wed/Thurs. It contains local service ads and circulars, but no coupons so far. They may be in this weeks’ though… here’s hoping! Some people said it was noted on their home mailer to look in it for weekly coupons. Mine didn’t have a notice last week, so I’m not sure.
.-= Beth Montgomery ´s last blog ..Red Plum: Now Gone in Indy! =-.

3 Katie April 29, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Sorry Beth, I didn’t see this before I made my last comment. :-S

4 Rebecca April 28, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Today, I received a Red Plum insert in with my usual Wednesday inserts. Don’t know if it was a fluke or not, but a nice surprise.

5 Alisha Henning April 28, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Are you able to buy the Chicago Tribune at the store near you? I’m in Northwest IN and I subscribe to the Chicago Tribune. I hope we don’t lose Red Plum! Maybe you can look for it the next time you are at the store on a Sunday and see if it travels that far south :)

6 Jackie April 28, 2010 at 11:23 PM

We have been getting the red plum mailed to us every week on Tuesdays or Wednesdays for awhile here in Erie Pa we also get are pg inserts in the mail as well

7 Nicki April 29, 2010 at 12:48 AM

I live in Brownsburg, and we didn’t get the usual “junk mail” today, but the Red Plum full coupon insert was in my mom’s mail today. She lives in Indy. Maybe I’m the only one excited about this b/c it means more free coupons – I’ve asked people at work to bring them into me. LOL

8 Kelly April 29, 2010 at 7:17 AM

Lafayette Journal and Courier and Frankfort Times will still carry this insert. Both offer cheap subscriptions and can be mailed.

9 Kelly April 29, 2010 at 7:18 AM

Why are they doing this? Are they trying to eliminate the number of inserts one person might use?

10 Leah April 29, 2010 at 11:10 AM

From what I’ve read about this, they’re doing it because “it reaches more people”. As in, every household in Indy (and the other cities that receive Red Plum in the mail), instead of just those who subscribe to/buy the Sunday paper. My issue with it is that I don’t live in Indy, but buy the Indy Star. So if they only mail them to Indianapolis addresses, I won’t have access to the inserts in the mail or the newspaper.

11 Katie April 29, 2010 at 10:08 AM

I’m a little behind with my blog reading, but after reading this post I went & grabbed my Wednesday junk mail packet & YIPPEEE!! It HAS the full Red Plum coupon insert, dated 5/2/10. HA! I guess this means we’ll be getting ours a few day early. I can live with that.

12 Katie April 29, 2010 at 10:11 AM

OK – this is weird, I just went to the Red Plum website link you gave us, put in my address & it tells me:
“Unfortunately, the RedPlum Coupon Book is not currently available in your area. Look to redplum.com for valuable grocery coupons, offers and savings tips.
All information as of May, 2010″

I wonder if this is the only insert I’ll get.

13 Leah April 29, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I checked mine on the Red Plum website and also got the “unavailable in your area” message. I am going to be seriously upset if I don’t get any in the mail, due to the fact that I’m not actually IN Indy, but about 10 miles west. But it’s kinda looking like that might be the case…We get our Red Plum home mailers on Thursdays, so looks like I’ll just be stalking my mailbox this afternoon. Argh. Did they really have to pick this week to start this?!?

14 Katie April 29, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Back AGAIN. I was reading over at Bargain Briana’s site that several people received notices on last Wednesday’s Red Plum sales flyers about the Red Plum Coupons. I went digging thought my paper recycling box & sure enough, I found it. It’s inside the first page & on the left side of the page it says, “Next Issue look here for your coupon book.” Then on the right side of the page it says “Check your Red Plum Mail. Starting next week, your RedPlum coupon book will come in here, in the mail instead of the newspaper. Much handier for you to plan-and save.”

I’m seriously thinking of cancelling my Indy Star subscription again. At the very least, this is a good bargaing point for a reduced rate.

15 Erin April 29, 2010 at 12:56 PM

My red plum came in today’s (Thursday) sales fliers in my mailbox. I live in Fishers

16 Beth Montgomery April 29, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Hope everyone got their Red Plum today! I did get mine in my Red Plum mailer. Still, it’s sad that many people who subscribed to the Indianapolis Star to get the newspaper will no longer be getting it, if their local paper doesn’t include it or they don’t get it in their own Red Plum home mailer. On Red Plum, I also got the note that it wasn’t available in my area, but it was there today.

Did anyone not get one?
.-= Beth Montgomery ´s last blog ..e-Course: Putting it into Practice & More Frugal Tips (VIDEO) =-.

17 stephanie m April 29, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Ok, I am thankful to have the coupons early, that is a plus… but… what advice do you have on getting several inserts… :( I always buy 4 papers.. and now I will only have 1 rp insert!

sad,
In Noblesville!!!

18 Beth Montgomery April 29, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Stephanie, It looks like the only way you’ll be able to get more is to buy them from coupon clippers (you can see those I recommend in my Recommended Coupon Sources – http://ingoodcents.com/resources/coupons). Or snag some from friends, family, and neighbors who don’t use theirs.

When this first started last year, the Red Plum employees said that this was to get more people one set of coupons versus one person multiple sets of coupons. They said that manufacturers would rather have 7 people get coupons and use them, then one person get 10 coupons and use them. So, that’s what they’ve done.

Beth
.-= Beth Montgomery ´s last blog ..Kroger Weekly Deals, 4/29-5/5 =-.

19 Amber April 30, 2010 at 4:05 PM

I live in Carmel and I got the coupon insert in my Wednedsay ads too!! thanks goodness!

20 Susan June 5, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Looks like it’s still in the Terre Haute paper.