I bought a few turkeys when they were on sale around Thanksgiving. Large turkeys are a wonderful way to make tons of meals using one main ingredient. I served plan turkey the first night, then used it to make amazing Turkey & Dumplings the 2nd night. We also enjoyed turkey sandwiches on some homemade Amish bread.
– – Ingredients – –
- 1 1/2 cups Leftover Turkey (chopped into bite size pieces)
- 4 cups Turkey or Chicken Stock or Broth
- Vegetables (onion, peppers, peas, corn, carrots etc…)
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 cups Flour
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Butter (melted)
- Salt & Pepper
– – Directions – –
- Place a large pot on the stove. Add vegetables, then cook on medium-high heat until warm and slightly soft (approximately 10 – 12 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add turkey, then cover with broth or stock. Stir and simmer. Add salt and pepper. Make sure your broth is very seasoned, since the dumplings will dilute the flavor.
- Mix dry dumpling ingredients together (flour, salt, & baking powder). Add milk and butter, then stir until blended. Be careful. Over stirring can cause your dumplings to get hard.
- Drop 1 inch by 1 inch spoonfuls of dough into your broth. Don’t worry if they touch. The broth will keep them from combining typically. Add dumplings quickly, then immediately cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- This is the hard part – don’t peek. Allow the dumplings to simmer, then reduce heat to medium after the first 5 minutes. Cook a total of 20 minutes.
- Serve hot in a bowl or over mash potatoes!
– – Centsible Cooking Tips & More – –
- Be Centsible: Mix 1/2 stock and 1/2 water to save money or if you don’t have enough ingredients. Don’t have stock? You can also use left over gravy and add water to thin.
- Change It Up: Make chicken & dumplings instead!
- Swap It: You can swap the garlic cloves with about 2 TBSP garlic powder, depending on what you have on hand.
- Encore Meal Idea: Serve over bread with mash potatoes for Manhattans.
Get more cent saving recipes! Browse by ingredient or search.