Cent Saving Tools: Grocery List Creator

by Beth Montgomery on January 6, 2010 · 9 comments

in Coupons & Rebates, Tips & Basics

Hi. I’m Beth. And I am addicted to spreadsheets.

Yeah.   It’s sad but true. I think it’s fun to make spreadsheets. Creating complicated spreadsheets, like the one I designed for my husband to use to track his NCAA Tournament picks that automatically moves teams over to the next round, is my idea of a good time.   In fact, I’m so bad, that I sometimes spend 5 hours trying to figure out how to use a spreadsheet to do something that would have taken me only 5 minutes if I had just done it manually.   But, everyone allowed to be crazy in their own special way, right?

With that in mind, I figured now was the perfect time to once again share my shopping list creator.   However, for those of you who don’t get a kick out of spreadsheets, I’ve make a simplified version with instructions for you!

It’s a new year. You have a clean slate. So now is the time to create a budget and stick to it. Seeing how much you are going to spend before you head to the grocery store will help. All you do is enter in what you plan to buy, the price, any rewards you’ll earn, any coupons you’ll be using, and the coupon value. The spreadsheet will automatically double coupons for particular stores, plus figure out your grand total, coupon total, rewards total, final out-of-pocket, your total after rewards, and your percent saved after coupons and rewards.

Plus, when you are all done, you can highlight your list, then print it to take to the grocery store with you as a detailed shopping list. You’ll be armed and ready to save money, because you’ll know exactly what you are buying, how much it should cost, and what coupons you should be using.

If you’d like the simplified version, which includes 3 spreadsheets – one for standard stores (e.g. Walmart), one with stores that double coupons up to $0.50, (e.g. Kroger or Marsh), and one that offers rewards (e.g. CVS or Walgreens). It also comes with instructions for use and is filled in with examples (which you can delete easily). You can download it below:

- – Simple Grocery List Creator – -

Available in Excel Format from Google Docs

To download: Follow the link, select “File”, and select “Download As”.
Note: Other download formats are available, but I recommend downloading it as an Excel document, because you will lose formatting (including the formulas) in CVS and other file formats.

If you’d like to get high tech, you can also download mine. You can use it to create multiple lists if you plan to hit multiple stores. It’s set up for Meijer, Kroger, Marsh, Target, Walmart, CVS, and Walgreens, but you could easily change the store column name to match stores near you. It also has a sheet that calculates your grand total for all stores.

- – Advanced Grocery List Creator – -

Available in Excel Format from Google Docs

To download: Follow the link, select “File”, and select “Download As”.

Now you’re armed to save your cents… Start checking out the latest store deals!   Happy shopping.

1 Stephanie McChesney January 7, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Beth, thanks for e-mailing this to me, it’s exactly what I was hoping for. The directions are great for those of us who are a little challenged. Thanks so much for all the time and hard work you put into helping all of us save!!

2 Beth Montgomery January 7, 2010 at 9:18 PM

No problem. I hope it helps you out!

3 Pam B. January 7, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Thanks for creating this. I have always done it on paper very similar to this (drawing columns, etc.) , but haven’t attempted to do this in a spreadsheet. This is an awesome way to track my weekly spending!

4 Beth Montgomery January 7, 2010 at 9:17 PM

No problem. It is handy to have, because it does a lot of the work for you!

5 Stephanie McChesney January 13, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Ok Beth, I must be doing something wrong, I was wondering if you could help me a little more. I downloaded the savings tracker and entered in my information for the first week. When I am on the drug store page and entering my rewards they are showing on the screen as ### instead of the actuall number. When I hover over the ### it shows me the proper number that I entered however it is not adding the numbers right. I entered in $25 dollars worth and it totaled it as $55.12? Do you know what I could be doing wrong? Also, how do you put in that you paid with rewards? Do you just leave that out and it becomes part of your OOP? Or add it in as a cpn? I’m really trying to do better at keeping track and I want to figure this out, I’m just not great at computer stuff. Any help you can give me is appreciated. Thanks!
.-= Stephanie McChesney ´s last blog ..The House God Saved for us =-.

6 Beth Montgomery January 13, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Stephanie,

First, the #### is showing, because your column isn’t big enough for the text in it. I can’t fix that from here. If you don’t know how to enlarge a column, there are two ways. 1) At the top, there is a letter corresponding with the column and next to that is a line that separates the next column. Double click that line and it should automatically expand to fit everything you have in that column. 2) you can click on that same line and drag it out until it’s as large as you’d like.

Second, thank you for catching that! I redid the drugstore section before sharing this and messed up the formula in that column. It’s fixed now, but you’ll have to redownload it. As for the rewards, I do enter those as a coupon, because they can come in so many different forms – gift card, ECB, etc… I just put ECB in the coupon column and $5 in the value for example.

7 Jenni February 12, 2010 at 10:24 AM

LOVE the spreadsheets! I am a spreadsheet fanatic too and just last week was trying to make one myself to track similar things, so glad I found yours! Thanks for all your helpful tips and tricks – to God be the glory, in saving money too!

8 jana February 12, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Beth,

I see the one spread sheet Simple Shopping List Creator, but I believe you had another spread sheet up which was about the savings.Saving Tracker. I am really interested in that one. If I need to pay you for it I do not have a problem.

Thanks

Jana

9 Beth Montgomery February 14, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Man, I had to rack my brain for this one! I did post a savings tracker long ago, but it wasn’t mine. It was by Andrea at Mommy Snacks. Here you go – Grocery Savings Chart. Hope it helps.