I’m sure by now you know, an earthquake hit Haiti on Wednesday, January 12th, destroying so much. So many are missing and thousands of lives have been lost. Pictures of heartache are everywhere and it’s hard to sit so far away just watching as so many suffer. How can we help?
Today, I saw a post from Crystal atcalling those in the Blogosphere to rise and help those in need. She made me realize I had the power to help right here by not only praying and giving, but also by helping you understand the power you have to help as well. Join me.
How can you help?
Pray. Prayers are absolutely free and right now everyone in Haiti needs them. Pray hard. Pray often. It’s a small and easy thing to do that can make a huge impact.
Give. I know it may seem at times like you don’t have enough even for yourself, but every penny helps. My family and I will be making a donation to Grace Community Church’s Relief Fund.
- American Red Cross: Text the word Haiti to 90999. $10 will be charged to your phone and donated to the American Red Cross.
- Compassion International’s Disaster Relief Fund
- World Vision (sponsor a child or donate)
Volunteer. Even if you don’t have money to give, you do have time. Volunteer at your local American Red Cross, A Child’s Hope International/Kids Against Hunger, church, or other organization. From so far away, you can still assemble care packages and so much more.
Blog. Many blogs are offering donations for blogging about what you are doing to help, then leaving a simple comment or link to your post, just like I’ve done here. Below are a few, but visit these blogs to find more.
- $5 Dinner Mom: Erin is donating $10 for each comment or link.
- Bargain Briana: For each link left, Briana will be donating $5 to Food for Poor. In addition, she’ll be donating $0.25 (up to $500) for each comment.
- Common Sense with Money: Mercedes is donating $0.25 for each comment or link.
- Keeping the Kingdom First: Alyssa is donating $1 for each link.
- The Happy Housewife: Toni is donating $1 per link or comment.
- : Crystal is donating $10 per link and $0.30 per comment.
- Savings w/ Shellie: Shellie is donating $2 per link and $0.25 per comment.
- Surviving the Stores: Rachel will be donating $1 per link.
Comment. Don’t have a blog? That’s okay. Many of the blogs listed above are also making contributions for comments as well. Just one simple, short comment, letting them know how you are helping and they’ll make a donation. See above.
Spread the Word. Now that you know ways to help, tell your friends and family. The more people who know, the more of an impact we can have.