Udder Covers: Scam or Not?

by Beth Montgomery on November 10, 2009 · 11 comments

in Announcements

So, about a year ago when I found out I was pregnant with my 3rd child, I saw an offer for a free Udder Cover and since I didn’t have the skills to make my own, I jumped on the deal. Only paying shipping, it was cheaper than the nursing covers I’d seen in the stores and much cuter than throwing a blanket over yourself.

About a month ago, another offer came up and again, I got another. And then yesterday, a friend informed me they were again offering a free coupon code. This code came from a name I trusted, What to Expect, since the book helped me through my first pregnancy. This time, I didn’t buy one, but I did let all of you know. Then, I got a message from a trusted reader saying, although she’d not has problems, she’d heard it was a scam.

The last thing I want to do is lose the trust of my readers, so I did some investigating. At first, I found many people talking about it, but no one who had actually had a problem. Then, I found an article and a link to a forum on Baby Center where many women were discussing that they had charges to their cards after ordering from Udder Covers back in May 2009. These women did, in fact, receive their cover. From what I’m seeing, it’s not clear if the Udder Covers site was hacked and isn’t as secure as it should be, or if this is a fraud.

Udder Covers is registered with the BBB with an A and the only complaints are regarding delivery delay issues and all were resolved. In addition, they are now offering Pay Pal payments, which are more secure than using credit cards, and appear to be insured up to $250,000. On top of that, while you can find many search topics for “Under Cover scam”, you don’t find anything negative on their parent company “Milk Bands“, which has been around since 2005.

For all intents and purposes this appears to be a legitimate company, but then why did so many people have issues? Honestly, I’m confused and I’m seeing two very different stories here… many like mine, that received theirs with no problem, then a limited few who had fraudulent charges. Since I got my Udder Cover and know many of my friends did as well, my recommendation would be to order though PayPal to protect yourself and your account information.

Did anyone have a problem with fraudulent charges? Did you get your Udder Cover? What are your thoughts?

You can find more information/articles on this at Frugalista, What to Expect, and RipOff Report.

1 Lyn November 10, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I ordered 2 of these a couple of months back. I was shocked that my credit card was charged the shipping fees before the items were shipped. I emailed them about the charges and was told that my backorder was in and to expect delivery in a couple of days. They arrived and I didn't have any other charges. It was very strange, but not really an issue.

2 Anonymous November 10, 2009 at 4:11 PM

I also know someone who ordered one and got it no problem.

3 Anonymous November 10, 2009 at 9:19 PM

I ordered a cover several months ago when they where running a special. I received it without issue. However, I do remember that many people at the time thought it was a scam. I think the issue was that so many people ordered a cover at one time that the company had a hard time keeping up with the orders!

4 Anonymous November 11, 2009 at 11:43 AM

I took advantage of the deal a few days ago. My credit card company just called about some fragrant charges on our card. We had to close our account down. I did pay through pay pal which I know is secure. I do not know if the two events are at all related?

5 Jama February 14, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I have a HUGE problem with the way they advertise. I bought a sling from this company with the same set of coupons and free codes. I really wish I hadn’t. (Well, I should say I wish my husband hadn’t. He ordered it as a surprise for me.) It wasn’t the greatest quality, and now I find that they have devious advertising methods….that is to say; spamming maternity/pregnancy message boards and Craigslist. Although they are repeatedly asked to stop and their posts delted, they continue to post ads. If they were a responsible business they would pay for advertising with these sites instead of being low about it.

6 Beth February 14, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Jama, Thank you for sharing that with me. I actually quit promoting them when I wrote this article back in 2009 and haven’t felt comfortable promoting them again, until recently when I was told they cleaned up their act. I hadn’t realized they were still using questionable marketing techniques, so I really appreciate you giving me the heads up.

7 Christina March 17, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I bought during the “deal” that runs all the time for Udder Covers. Almost a year later my credit card information was stolen. Udder Covers and the other companies they have (Milk Bands, Seven Slings and Carseat Canopy) are out of Utah. All of my fraudulent purchases were shipped to Utah. All of the charges were for baby products or makeup. My bank handled everything. I didn’t have to file a police report as they did it and I let them know about the warnings I saw on Kelly Mom about Udder Covers. Not sure whatever happened, but I warn people now to be careful. They always run these specials, so they aren’t really specials. My cover did arrive on time. It was worth the $7 I spent on shipping, but if I’d paid the full advertised price, I would have returned it. Its not worth more then $7 in my opinion.

8 Beth March 18, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Christina, since I wrote this, Milkbands has become a verified Authorize.net company. When you make a purchase, your link is an “https”, which means it’s a secure link. In addition, they have an A+ rating with the BBB. Out of 41 complaints in the past 3 years, only 2 are unresolved and only 5 of them (all resolved) are billing and financial issues. Mostly are about delivery, since they have had backorder issues. There is much talk about the Milkband, LLC scam on the web, but if you do research, many of those women found out later that their credit card was stolen in store by a skimming technology that was popular used by some unsavory employees at the time, and not on the internet. Plus, credit cards being stolen on the internet may not be the fault of the company. You also need to make sure your browser is set to use secure connections when available and your internet connection is secure. Credit cards get stolen all the time through public internet connections and unsecured connections. Today, I’m very comfortable making purchases from Udder Covers with the information I’ve read and seen since this post and when the question came up. However, if you are ever in doubt, I encourage you to use PayPal, which is available on all of their sites.

However, I have heard that the quality of the products aren’t worth the $32, but is a deal for the cost of shipping, and you’re right that there is always a FREE Udder Cover coupon available. To be fair, I’ve not tried an Udder Cover, so I can’t vouch for their quality either way. Udder Covers are actually available in some United States stores now too, so you can avoid the online buying completely, if a store near you sells them. However, you can only use the coupon online, but you can check out the quality in person before you buy.

9 Christina April 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I just received a coupon from Destination Maternity, which I us where I have gone to buy all of my maternity clothes. I would be more skeptical to do this promo, after reading all of this, if it wasn’t for them sending it to me.

10 Beth April 24, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Destination Maternity sent you a coupon for their own site? Or for Udder Covers? I’ve done a lot of research since writing this long ago and don’t think Udder Covers is a scam, as I mentioned to the previous commenter. And, Destination Maternity hasn’t been linked with any scams. The only complaints about them, is the same as other maternity places, where you can accidentally get signed up for a magazine without realizing it or meaning to do so. Just read what you sign! And, I wouldn’t be concerned, unless it’s for a free product, but even then that’s usual for companies to send loyal customers now and then. If you’re worried, I’d call and ask.

11 Corsair June 4, 2013 at 8:47 PM

You might want to look at the number of complaints against the two owners, Kaleb and Jenny Pierce. Also the number of domain names they own and the fact that they are listed as con-artists on a great number of websites.