Tuesday's Tip 49: Reuse Your Bags

by Beth Montgomery on January 1, 2009 · 8 comments

in Frugal Series, Tips & Basics

Do you have a pile of grocery bags? I sometimes build up quite a collection. The plastic ones, I use in my home as trash bags in our smaller trash cans and even as a trash bag in my car for my kids.

Want a fun use for the paper ones? Paper ones can be used like paper towels in some circumstances. For example, use them when making bacon or fried chicken to absorb the oil after cooking. Just lay the bag on a plate and the food on top of the bag!

How do you reuse your bags? Share and if you have a great money-saving tip, e-mail me or leave a comment!

1 The Proverbswife January 5, 2010 at 9:33 AM

I use brown bags for my compost buckets and as landscaping mulch around plants. A few layers under traditional mulch helps a lot with weeds in flower beds. The best thing is that it is biodegradable and will breakdown easily.

2 Maggie January 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Plastic bags are also good packing material when shipping items. Free and lightweight. My husband also uses the plastic ones to take his lunch to work.

Paper bags can be reused (inside out) as heavy-duty wrapping paper for covering shipping boxes. There are great craft projects with paper bags also. Most of the time, though, we use the paper bags to store our recycled papers and, once full, drop them off at the church fundraising paper recycling bin.

3 Dina January 5, 2010 at 9:30 AM

I take my plastic bags back to walmart to reuse and if I have alot I drop them on the counter at Aldi’s for others to use. I use my paper sacks to put paper that’s to be recycled in. This way it doesn’t blow out of the recycling bin when I set it out on friday mornings and they don’t have to sort it from the other stuff like glass, plastic and tin cans.

4 SheilaJared January 5, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I also use plastic grocery bags as liners. Every once and awhile I have to leave my recyclable bags at home, so that I can stock up again.

Paper bags I rarely get but do use for:
wrapping paper for small gifts (adorn with a bright ribbon)
patterns for small sewing projects (tooth fairy pillows, scoodies, purses, etc…)

5 Beth Montgomery January 7, 2010 at 9:23 PM

I do too, Shelia. They are the perfect size for bathroom trash cans. And so nice to have on hand for guests, since it seems quiet frequently, someone is taking a bag of stuff home from our house. Now that I’m thinking about it… I wonder what I’m giving away :)

6 Corey January 5, 2010 at 7:37 PM

I hate hate hate plastic bags. No use at all except when I have nasty stuff I need to wrap and throw away right away.

Paper bags I use like Maggie. We put papers and then when it is full we pitch the entire thing into a fundraising bin.

7 Susan January 5, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Cute idea to reuse plastic bags. If you crochet you can make reusable grocery bags or this cute purse
I’m sure there are plenty of other things you could crochet also.

8 Beth Montgomery January 7, 2010 at 9:21 PM

I’ll get right on that mom :) With my sewing talents, I’m sure I’ll have that whipped up in no time. It only takes me a few hours… or days… to sew Scott’s letters on his Umpire jersey each year.